Sunday, February 10, 2008

Thea Paul's Kersal Piece

THINK SPRING! ISN'T THIS A BEAUTY?

And to think this is an in class piece done by a student of mine makes me feel very proud of her. Thea Paul considers herself a "newer" calligrapher from the Bow Valley Calligraphy Guild, http://www.bvcg.ca/ who took Kersals when I taught it in Calgary last spring. She needed a gift that weekend and it often happens that we're able to make use of our classwork this way. Thea did a wonderful job of giving the letters a softness in fresh Spring colours. She had a second line below the name with the child's date of birth. I was totally amazed at the creativity produced in class.

I'm excited that the Wheatland Calligraphy Guild has invited me to teach Kersals in Melfort, Saskatchewan! Woohoo! They sound like a very active community group. My flight has been booked, and March 14th will be here before I know it! (I'd better get practicing.)

First up though, is a one day course for the Edmonton Calligraphic Society http://www.edmontoncalligraphicsociety.org on Feb 23. The class will be Neuland Express, a favorite for all levels and especially beginners. I'm sure to see some fun stuff happening, so must remember to take the camera!

No comments: